I like Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Sonic, and many other things; I'm not particularly unfair. I think I'm a pretty decent person — I'll talk to almost anyone, really, if they want to talk to me.
Need advice? I'm good for that, too. I certainly don't mind c:
If you're reading this, I hope you have a lovely day (:
One of the largest folly’s fanfiction authors often fall victim to is writing something they don’t actually know anything about. This isn’t to say writers should only write what they know or expand their horizons, but sometimes, if the writing isn’t believable, it can take the readers out of the story.
So, you want the character to be drunk, but you’ve never actually been drunk yourself? How do you make this realistic? Let’s start with some basic knowledge about alcohol:
- Each drink roughly increases the blood alcohol level by .02%. This means that every 12 ounces of beer, every 5 ounces of wine and every 1 ounce (a shot) of hard liquor will increase the BAL by .02%. Now, I’m from Kentucky and over 21, which means it takes me four shots, four beers or four glasses of wine in one hour for me to be considered “under the influence”.
- Let’s discuss this “in one hour” idea. Your body has a way of processing alcohol. It varies from person to person based on body type, age, sex, metabolism, food and water intake, etc. but the average human processes .02% of alcohol in one hour. This means that if I have a shot at 7pm, by 8pm, I shouldn’t have any alcohol in my blood at all. Obviously this doesn’t reign true for everyone, but it’s a good basis to go by.
- Drinking hard liquor (rum, vodka, whiskey, bourbon, etc.) will get you drunker fast than drinking say beer, but the effects are not instantaneous. Each shot will take about 15 minutes before it hits your system. This means that you can take 4 shots at once, but the effects won’t begin to be felt for about 15 minutes.
- Drinking beer is not the same as drinking hard liquor. It will not get you nearly as drunk, nearly as fast. Beer, like a can of Bud Light, is about 5% alcohol. Vodka on the other hand is about 40% alcohol. Everclear (and this is how you get your characters crazy drunk fast) is about 98% alcohol, and I swear to god that stuff can remove paint. So having a couple of beers is completely different to having a couple of Jack and Cokes.
Now that we understand some things about alcohol, lets look at a few tips on writing a character that appears drunk.
- First off, make sure the amount of alcohol you have described the character drinking accurately represents how you want the character to act. A character is not going to be “shitfaced” after downing four beers, they are more or less going to be tipsy or “happy”.
- There are a few clues you can put into the writing that will make the readers realize the character is acting differently
o Flushed faces. Describe your character with redder cheeks than normal, as alcohol tends to increase body temperature and flush out the face. It will also make the character less susceptible to outside temperatures – a drunk blanket if you will.
o An inability to feel the face. This might sound stupid, and it isn’t true for everyone, but in general, the face looses feeling when drunk. Perception is also off, meaning when a drunk character attempts to touch his or her nose/mouth/eyes/ears, they typically will miss.
o Slurred or slowed speech. Now, there are several ways to write this, I’m partial to dialogue tags implying that the speech is slurred.
- “What do you mean?” she slurred her words.
- “What do you mean?” her voice catching on the last word.
But you can also write in a stutter or more colloquial phrases:
- “Whadda you mean?” she asked.
- “Wh-what do you mean?” she stuttered, her words stumbling out of her mouth.
o Stumbling around. The drunker you become, the more you stumble, slow your walking, trip over your feet, etc. Those images in the media of the drunk who can’t walk straight is pretty accurate, so it’s okay to have characters trip over their feet or collapse into chairs ungracefully.
o Sobering up. I don’t care what people say, no amount of bread, water or any other “fool-proof” method will sober someone up. Only time. It doesn’t matter if the character is piss-drunk and spies her boyfriend making out with some random girl at the party, she is still going to be as drunk as she was two seconds before. It will not suddenly clear her sense and “sober her up”. She will still act irrationally, she will still stumble and she is still drunk.
- Finally, alcohol poisoning. If you follow my personal blog, you’d know that I have witnessed this happen first hand to one of my very best friends. It’s scary, it’s not something I ever want to see happen again and guess what, IT DOESN’T HAPPEN EVERY TIME SOMEONE DRINKS. You need to consume a lot of alcohol to get alcohol poisoning. Throwing up does not equate alcohol poisoning. Passing out does not equate alcohol poisoning (though both are warning signs and if your friend is experiencing them or shallow breathing, do not leave them alone. Please check on them.) I know writers like to add ~drama to their stories, I’m a writer too. But a night out for fun doesn’t always have to end up in the hospital.
I hope this helps some, I know before I went to college, I had absolutely no idea what being drunk actually looked like, nor did I really know how bodies reacted to alcohol. If you have any questions, or you wanted to add/challenge something, my askbox is always open!
Happy writing :)
“You know your ideology is rigid and outdated when the head of the organisation that just got around to apologizing to Galileo shows more doctrinal flexibility than you.”
Let others rise to take our place, until the earth is free!
It’s like they know
The Most Beautiful Trees in the World
- Portland Japanese Garden, Portland, Oregon. Photo by unknown.
- Red maples trees path. Photo by Ildiko Neer.
- Most beautiful wisteria tree in the world. Photo by Brian Young.
- Yellow autumn in Central Park, New York. Photo by Christopher Schoenbohm.
- Amazing Angel Oak Tree, Charlston, Photo by Mark Requidan.
- Cherry blossom tree path, Germany. Photo by Shoeven.
- California in autumn. Photo by Mizzy Pacheco.
- Jacaranda trees in bloom, South Africa. Photo by Falke.
- Ponthus beech tree in Brocéliande forest, France. Photo by Christophe Kiciak.
- Beautiful cherry blossom road. Photo by unknown.
"If anyone else played Hermione, it would actually kill me."
She’s a fighter
Must always reblog my queen.
Her faith in her dream, courage, determination and perseverance are an example to us all. I truly admire her. She is beautiful inside and out.
J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series, has clinical depression - that is what she is talking about in this gifset
i wrote a poem
I almost scrolled past this but it’s actually really fucking deep…
Doctor Who Meme: → [3/3] Colours
↳ “Yellow is associated with joy, wisdom, sickness, jealousy, intellect, freshness and energy.”
The woman on the left is a mother from Miami who was so desperate to feed her hungry family that she was trying to steal a lot of food.
The woman on the right is Miami-Dade County Police Officer Vicki Thomas. Officer Thomas was about to arrest Jessica Robles but changed her mind at the last minute.
Instead of arresting her, she bought Robles $100 worth of groceries:
“I made the decision to buy her some groceries because arresting her wasn’t going to solve the problem with her children being hungry.”
And there’s no denying they were hungry. Robles’ 12 year old daughter started crying when she told local TV station WSVN about how dire their situation was:
“[It’s] not fun to see my brother in the dirt hungry, asking for food, and we have to tell him, ‘There is nothing here.’”
Officer Thomas says she has no question that what she did was right:
“To see them go through the bags when we brought them in, it was like Christmas. That $100 to me was worth it.”
But Officer Thomas did have one request:
“The only thing I asked of her is, when she gets on her feet, that she help someone else out. And she said she would.”
And guess what? The story gets even better.
After word got out about what happened people donated another $700 for Jessica Robles to spend at the grocery store.
And then best of all a local business owner invited her in for an interview and ended up hiring her on the spot as a customer service rep.
She started crying when he told her:
“There’s no words how grateful I am that you took your time and helped somebody out. Especially somebody like me.”
And to think it all started with one veteran police officer trusting her “instinct” instead of going “by the book”.finally some good news to read
it took hours to do the make up and took second to remove it. LOL. BUT DEYM HE’S GORGEOUS WITH OR WITHOUT IT.
I don’t find it gorgeous to cover your body in ink.
that’s your opinion and it’s wrong
So I might be selling these soon. Somewhere.